Subscribe to me on YouTube
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Tarantulas.co.za forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Some questions around breeding

Pin It

Some questions around breeding 2 years 5 months ago #38780

• Shane
  • Thank you received: 40
At some point in the not too distant future, I would like to try my hand at breeding. I want to buy the slings now though, as it will take a few years before they mature. I have a few questions though.

Can I breed males and females that are siblings? I imagine this must happen quite often in the wild, but I'd just like to make sure.

If I buy 5 slings of a particular species, and I manage to get a pair, I assume the males will mature faster than the females? How do you get around this?

My last question. I'm looking for a species that isn't too common in the hobby, but also not too expensive. Something that grows relatively quickly, is fairly easy to breed and has something interesting about it.

My first choice at the moment, is T. Ockerti. I just need to do a little more research. What do you guys think?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Facebook Comments

Re: Some questions around breeding 2 years 5 months ago #38786

• Fuzzy Bear
  • Thank you received: 268
Can I breed males and females that are siblings?
Yes, up about the eight generation is often mentioned.

How do you get around this?
Mature males can mate with sub adult females. It is not cast in stone that males will mature quicker, but if they do, mate them with sub adult females.

Look at any Poecilotheria, except perhaps P fasciata. P regalis are always in demand.

No problems with T ockerti, also consider C cyaneopubescens.
Most people are like clouds. The sun comes out when they f*ck off...
Last Edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Fuzzy Bear.

Some questions around breeding 2 years 5 months ago #38787

• Brynn Lurie
  • Thank you received: 96
Try get your hands on a couple Psalmopeous pulcher or reduncus. Psalmopeous are a fairly fast growing T.
By purchasing 5 slings of the same Sp. You're pretty much guaranteed to get a pair. 97.5% of getting at least one female and one male.

If your spiders are kept at a good temp and are fed regularly they will grow even faster. Male specimens do tend to grow faster then females. (maybe males mature quicker than females to avoid the possibility of them breeding with the females of the same brood who have not yet matured ??)

Inbreeding is very common, especially in captivity. Who knows how many bloodlines we started off with... But to try avoid this, if at all possible, try purchasing your slings from a handful of different suppliers.

I'm sure you'll get lots of comments on this thread! It's an interesting one!
Ani Ohev Achvishim!

Re: Some questions around breeding 2 years 5 months ago #38794

• Shane
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm a little apprehensive of pokies, and arboreals in general. This might not be the case by the time they mature, but for now, I think I'll stick with terrestrial Ts.

GBB's are definitely an option though. Demand for them always seems high, and they are one of my favourites. It also depends on wether or not I can get my hands on 5 slings/juvies and at what cost. I do have a GBB though, so I wouldn't mind something different. I notice Jozua is selling T. Ockerti (2cm I think) at R115. They are also beautiful Tarantulas. I just remembered now that they are arboreal. Are they strictly arboreal like avics? Time to do some light reading I think.

I think what I'll do is buy 5 slings. Once sex is confirmed, keep 2 males, 1 female and sell the rest. (if it works out that way) Then I'll experiment with different feeding schedules to try and make sure I get a mature pair. For example, once they are juvies or subadult, feed the female say once every 4 days. The one male say once a week, and the other maybe every 10 days.

Re: Some questions around breeding 2 years 5 months ago #38795

• Shane
I'm having a hard time finding any decent info on this species. Can anyone on this forum give their 2 cents? Anyone with ownership/breeding experience on this species? Maybe somebody could point me in the direction of a decent care sheet. Thanks

Re: Some questions around breeding 2 years 5 months ago #38798

• Local Baboon
  • Life is 10% how we make it, 90% how we take it
  • Thank you received: 20
@ Visser: I recently acquired 3 Thrixopelma ockertislings from Hendrijs. Prior to this I did some research on the species. This is what I found:

1. They are formidable hair flickers. (even as 2cm slings)
2. There is an ongoing debate whether the species is arboreal or terrestrial
3. There is some debate on the colouration as well
4. Humidity???

If you find more info please post it. ;)
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.258 seconds

Tarantupedia™ Stats

Total Views: 789531
Total Ratings: 3249