Thanks for this Hendrijs!
As some of you know I'm trying to focus a little on my Avic. collection and here's my little contribution to this thread.
Attachment AvicEnclosures.jpg not found
Just like Hendrijs I use inverted enclosures with water at the bottom. The upside down bottles have LOTS of holes drilled in the sides for air flow (As a rule of thumb, if I put my mouth over the bottle opening and blow, it must be almost effortless to blow through all the holes) and are all filled with Avics (versicolor, avicularia and purpurea). As you can see I have cable tied some plastic foliage to the top of a dowel stick and secured it inside the bottle to provide a way for food to climb up to where the Avics normally build their webbed hides, and also provides structure for webbing. Then, at the bottom I have placed a plastic milk bottle cap with a pebble inside it to help water evaporate and maintain a good amount of humidity and also so that the T's can drink if they need. (Without the pebble the water actually evaporates much slower)
The tank to the right as you can see has a vent top left and bottom right for air to cross-flow, this tank houses my biggest A.versicolor at the moment (8cm). I was always told that A.versicolor are "sensitive" and difficult to keep, but keeping them like Hendrijs and myself are doing, I have not had a single loss, except that I lost two of my A.Avicularia to starvation because they were too lazy to hunt their food. The minute I provided them with a decent "ramp" for food to reach them, the losses stopped. (Meaning that the dowel sticks were not good enough, so I had to add extra footing for roaches and crickets).
(The two bottles with yellow lids are my 2 L.Violaceopes slings.)
FOOD
I find with Avic slings that Oxyhaloa deusta roaches are the perfect "roach" food for them. They can climb almost any surface and the minute they are placed in a container they immediately aim and run upwards looking for an escape, which is great for hungry little Avics. Also, O.deusta offspring are TINY, with nymphs measuring 2 or 3mm at their smallest, so can basically replace very small crickets. They breed very well, just give them darkness, warmth and a variety of cat food pellets and a piece of apple or carrot from time to time. They are very hard to keep contained, so make sure to use tubs that seal well and have holes drilled no bigger than 1mm to 2mm maximum to prevent the nymphs from escaping, but drill PLENTY of holes to ensure good ventilation. Oh, and they are quick little buggers and will give you some reflex training.
HS